Total Pageviews

Sunday, January 20, 2013

One Day at a Time

Disclaimer: I don't own Naruto or any of its characters and make no money from this.

Day Forty-Three: Bleep

"Kakashi?" Sakura called out, still laying on his back as he carried her. Kakashi only hummed his acknowledgement, saving his breath since he'd been running for a while already today.

"How did you know that I knew when the deal would take place?" The question almost made him trip on his on feet. She what?

"Y-You know when?" The girl on his back remained silent for a while. So long, in fact, that he started getting nervous.

It wasn't that long before she slipped right off him and her fist met with the ground, shattering it all around them save for the spot where she stood. The jonin groaned as he landed on his chest, having tripped on one of the protruding pieces before he could see it

"You mean you didn't know?!" The chuunin shouted behind him, wheezing to catch her breath after.

"You gave the scroll... to... Koroku without..." Before she could finish her sentence, she dropped to her knees, struggling to breathe.

"Sakura, you were about to be killed." The jonin started as he got to his feet and turned to her. "I didn't have a choice."

"I can't believe you." She whispered as he hauled her on his back once more, ignoring the weak kicks and punches she delivered. "How could you?!"

"After I went through all that to get the info..." She growled as she leaned her head against his shoulder, her movements dying down. "You could have ruined it all."

Her voice was growing weaker and weaker with each word. The Copy Nin had to admit, he couldn't recall a time where he had been called so many times. Where did she even get such a diverse cussing vocabulary? Sweet Sakura certainly had her surprises.

"Sakura..." His baritone voice warned after a little while. "You can scream at me all you want once we're back home, but please save your breath for now. You're about to pass out." He was quite relieved when she didn't even bother replying.

"I already told you, Sakura..." He whispered, half hoping that she wouldn't be able to hear him. "I... I love you. I couldn't bear losing you."

"But what if that had cost the lives of our comrades, instead?" He heard her say, making guilt rise as a heavy lump in his chest. "What if my life had cost that of dozens of Leaf nin? They're as important to others as I am to you..."

He didn't know what to say. He'd been aware of it when he made the decision, yet he hadn't cared. To see Sakura on the verge of death had been too much, enough for him to accept giving up everything he cared for, just for her.

"I'm sorry, Sakura..." The jonin sighed, unable to find better words. "I just couldn't watch you die. Even if in the end it was selfish, I would do it all over again if it meant I could have you with me."


Chapter Forty-Four: Click Here

No comments:

Post a Comment